Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Nanny State expands.

No article here. Just a personal observation. On the way home from work I noticed cops all over the place. Every mile or so it seemed. Then not far from my house there were two cops on foot at at intersection (4 way stop). They were approaching cars as they stopped to spot-check for seatbelts. This "campaign" has been recently reported in the local news. Apparently, there is even special funding for the overtime that will be required.

Rant:
Why are they wasting my hard-earned tax dollars on what amounts to a parenting program? How ridiculous to waste police officers' time and our money on non-crime issues. You want to pay cops for overtime? Fine. Assign them to unsolved missing persons cases. Assign them to unsolved murders, rapes, and kidnappings. Use their time to fight gang activity. Pay them to do their jobs as public servants.

Don't pay them to act like public parents.

This is the fundamental mindset that we must continually combat if we wish to preserve our ever-eroding freedoms. The Nanny State proponents believe that they know best. They will go to whatever lengths they feel necessary at whatever cost to ensure that our lives are forced into compliance with their standards. A seat-belt enforcement campaign is just one more piece of evidence.

You don't know best. Huh-uh. No you don't. We do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stan said...

I can't stand the excuse they use, seatbelts. Every cop, trooper, deputy I know cares not about seatbelts, they want a real bust.

24/5/06 9:59 PM  
Blogger nicolas said...

What's scary to me is that here in IL there are RADIO AND TELEVISION commercials basically letting you know that nanny is watching and you'll be in big twubble if you don't mind her. I wonder if they had things like that in Germany...

One of the commercials has a part in it that goes something like this:

Drive: "Don't police have more important things to do?"

Announcer: "Isn't saving lives the most important thing police can do?"

I've never had an officer pull me over and write me a ticket and then tell me that he's doing it for my own safety. If I did, I'd have to fight the urge to tell him that I'll run my life as I please as long as it doesn't bother anybody else.

It's really too late already, isn't it?

25/5/06 3:33 PM  
Blogger M1Thumb said...

Sadly, I think it is too late already. Society (as a whole) has accepted that the PO-lice exist to protect you...even from yourself. It's sad, it's pathetic, it's not freedom, and worst of all, it's true.

25/5/06 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home