Saturday, May 13, 2006

Another point missed

CNN is complaining (again) about No Child Left Behind.

This article is a good illustration of the mainstream media's left-wing bias. How anyone still denies their slant still escapes me. But they do. I've even heard people say that the MSM has a right wing bias. (Michael Moore followers.) That just blows me away.

But that's not why I linked to this article. I wanted to talk about NCLB. All the libs are up in arms about the way that the federal government is trying to regulate education. Point missed again.

(The point):
Nobody's concerned about the very idea that the Federal government is (once again) sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. No one is angry about federal regulation of something that shouldn't be federally regulated (education.)

We can argue standardized testing vs. outcome based education all day long. I have a very strong opinion on the matter.

But that's not the point!

These things should be decided at the state level. It's not the US Government's job to tell us how to teach our kids! It's not their job to ensure a good education! I don't care what NCLB is about. I care that it even exists! And no one seems to be upset about this. Why?

Probably because we're used to having a Department of Education. We're used to letting the feds step in and get their hands in the cookie jar. We're willing to take their dollars.

I think the best outcome here is that NCLB is left in effect. Everyone fails. All federal aid is withdrawn. Bush sticks to his guns and the final result is something that no one expects, because it's not even being addressed as part of the issue: education is (in effect) completely de-federalized.

Wouldn't that be something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question. How does everyone fail? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "the best outcome is that NCLB is left in effect." How is it bad that all federal aid is withdrawn (couldn't that be seen as a win)?
Now, to play a bit of devil's advocate, although I do agree with what you said, aren't we in effect, then robbing Peter to pay Paul? So federal government puckers up and the money is gone. Doesn't that just encourage our beloved Springfield and Des Moines to "pass the load" onto us? Aren't we going to be paying it one way or another through higher taxes? What are your thoughts? The more I think about it, I see much of the educational system as an impotent mess. Maybe believers coming together and educating their children is where it's at? Just shooting off my mouth and excited to hear what you have to say about it. Don't accuse me of pinko-mentality, just want your thoughts.

13/5/06 11:24 AM  
Blogger M1Thumb said...

Hey! Comments! Whee! Thanks for reading.

I've added another post to address your questions.

13/5/06 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home