Monday, May 22, 2006

Do it for the children...

My wife and I had to go shopping today for a larger car seat for our baby. She just outgrew her first one. Apparently they have to be in car seats until they weigh 80 pounds.

Rant:
80 pounds?!?! Is someone out of their bloody mind? It blows me away how such an idiotic law can even get passed. Why did I hear nothing in the news? Why was there no controversy? Didn't anybody have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and say, "That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom." (Office Space quote for you there.)

The truth is that anything that bears the label "for the children" gets the instant stamp of approval, no matter how asinine the premise. We'd be putting rubber bumpers on our baseboards if some legislator put together a smart sounding law, backed it up with some half-baked alarmist stats and started an awareness campaign.

I was in sixth grade before I weighed 80 pounds! And I have no recollection of ever being in a car seat. And I'm alive today!

I know, I know. I wasn't in any wrecks. Whatever. That's not my point. My point is that this is just one more vile step towards a nanny state. "We know better than you how to take care of your own children."

Step off, big brother. I decide what's best for my kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger nicolas said...

You'd really like this page then.

Some relevant quotes:

"Appropriate laws can help encourage parents to protect their children from the #1 danger to their young lives."

Right, we need more laws to encourage parents to give a rip about their kids. I guess if a parent wasn't really concerned about the safety of their child, they'd shape right up just because you passed a law.

"Parents should note that the legal age and weight guidelines are not always adequate to insure the safety of their children."

You get this kind of reasoning a lot. Basically they're pointing out that you can NEVER be worried or safety-crazed enough, because as you said, it's FOR THE CHILDREN. So to be safe, they say "she should stay in a booster seat until the adult seat belt fits. This is usually when the child reaches about 4' 9" in height and is between 8 to 12 years of age."

I guess they better get started with child-seats on school busses!

23/5/06 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home