Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"We Don't Really Like Guns"

I have some good friends who are in the process of adopting a child. During a recent interview, they were being asked a series of general questions. One was, of course, "Do you have any firearms in the home?" The answer was no, to which the woman replied, "That's good - we don't really like guns anyway."

Why not? Is she afraid an adoptive parent might try and protect their adopted child from any one of several threats which could assail them? Or is she just so cowed with fear because of all the horse**** propaganda that she's been fed that her brain Pavlonianly responds with "BAD" every time someone says "GUN"? (Is Pavlonianly a word?)

Anyway, I thought it was terribly sad that a senseless, emotionally generated response that is in no way supported by any facts, evidence or logic can be used to potentially restrict good, decent people from adopting. A cursory internet search turned up pretty much what I suspected - this is a fairly standard treatment of the issue.

It really makes me wonder how I would respond should my wife and I ever try to adopt.

"Your damn right I do. I've got lots of 'em. And I keep the 1911 on the night stand loaded with Hornady XTP hollowpoints. Don't worry - the kid will be safe here. Any dirtbag that breaks in this house will be carried out full of forty-five caliber holes and less a little blood and soft tissue. And when the kid gets bigger, I'll teach him how to do the same thing."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you want the social(ist) workerto piss her panties right there in your living room, eh?

Guaranteed they'll never let you adopt!

21/3/07 3:36 PM  
Blogger M1Thumb said...

I wouldn't actually say that if I was trying to adopt - but it's fun to think about.

24/3/07 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was asked the same question 10 years ago when we adopted in MI. Does it surprise you that the Social(ist) Welfare workers are such chickensh*ts? I would have loved to have said what you wrote...we probably wouldn't have our little girl though.

11/11/07 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home