Friday, June 16, 2006

Knock-Knock (not)

This is Rush Limbaugh's commentary on the Supreme Court's recent decision on no-knock entry by police. To sum up, their decision was that evidence found in a no-knock entry can be used in trial. Rush thinks it was a good decision because it has the liberals mad.

And there we part ways, my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love to anger liberals. It's fun. (Not to mention, funny.) And I've rarely disagreed with Rush in the 14 years I've been listening to him. But I disagree with him on this.

I think the reason that you see this being painted as a "conservative" decision (it is not) is that liberals generally tend to be the ones standing up for the rights of criminals, while conservatives are more interested in victim's rights. Liberals usually prefer to make things harder for the cops while the conservatives usually prefer to let them catch crooks.

As I read about the growing epidemic of police abuses and incompetence, I can't help but come closer and closer to the "liberal" side of this issue. (I can't believe I'm typing that.)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about standing up for the rights of criminals. I have no desire to see any criminal set free because of some loophole. I watch Dateline's To Catch a Predator specials, and in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Why don't they just take them to the backyard of the house, drop them to their knees and pop 'em in the head?" Fast and efficient.

Of course that's not Constitutional, but what I'm trying to communicate is my deep-seated distaste for people like that. So if I'd like to see a tough justice system, why am I against no-knock warrants?

Well, probably because you have people like Charles Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Barbara Boxer, Barak Obama, Rod Blagojevic, Lane Evans, Michael Bloomberg, Sarah Brady, George Soros, Khofi Annan, and Richard Daly that want to make people like me into criminals. If they get their way and disarm America, I'll be a criminal! (Disarm, hell!) And that will make me subject to their no-knock warrants!

Sure, I don't have anything to worry about now, because I'm not a criminal. But I object to this for the same reason I'd object to video surveillance in every household.

Big Brother: "Well, if you're not doing anything wrong, what are you so worried about?"

That's not the point. It never was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home